A special CBI court in Ranchi deferred the sentencing of former Bihar Chief Minister and RJD chief Lalu Prasad Yadav till Thursday. RJD chief Lalu Prasad Yadav and 15 others had been convicted in one of the fodder scam cases.
The Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief was convicted on December 23 by a special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court.
Lalu Prasad’s lawyer had on Tuesday said that they would urge the court for minimum punishment owing to the RJD chief’s age.
“Lalu is 70 years old and suffering from many diseases. We will seek minimum punishment for him ” the lawyer had said.
The former Bihar CM, who is at present lodged in the Birsa Munda Central Jail in Ranchi is likely to get three to seven years’ punishment, as per reports.
However, if he gets three years’ sentence, he will be able to get bail soon.
The special CBI court had convicted Lalu on December 23 but co-accused and former Bihar Chief Minister Jagannath Mishra was let off in the case pertaining to embezzlement of over Rs. 85 lakh from the Deoghar Treasury between 1991 and 1994.
A total of 17 accused including Lalu were pronounced guilty by the court while six were let off.
Lalu was inside the courtroom in Ranchi along with his son Tejashwi when the verdict was delivered.
The judgment came in the wake of the 2G verdict wherein all 18 accused including A Raja and K Kanimozhi were acquitted by the court and both Lalu and Tejashwi had expressed confidence of being exonerated much to their dismay.
The RJD chief has already been convicted in another fodder scam case that cost him his Lok Sabha seat and disqualified him from contesting elections. Both Lalu and Jagannath Mishra are out on bail in the case.
Hearing in the multi-million fodder scam case was completed on December 13 in a special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court of Ranchi.
In all, there were 34 accused in the case, out of which 11 died during the course of the trial, while one turned CBI approver and admitted the crime.