Follow Us:

Asst director detects lapses in gas leak

Statesman News Service | Paradip |

The assistant director of factory and boiler department, Mr Chandrakant Dalai is said to have detected lapses that had led to a gas leak mishap at Paradeep Phosphate Ltd on 2 February here injuring three labourers. The mishap had occurred at the Sulphuric Acid Plant (SAP).

A team of factory and boiler department led by Dalai conducted an inquiry and found that the leakage was at the gas gate of Non-Return Valve (NRV) of SAP’s processing boiler of stream no C. The labourers had been pressed into service to arrest the leakage on said gas gate near NRV by replacing it.

Before replacing it, boiler pipe line shut down to arrest leakage on said particular point. During opening this pipeline, there was residual hot water on said pipe line in which labourers were injured due to exposure to vapour of hot water.

Dalai said no steps had been taken to check the existence of hot water on said boiler pipe line. It is the strong violation of Indian Boiler Regulation Act 1950 so action will be taken after inquiry. The dept should send show cause notice to PPL authorities, he added.

Mr Dalai has informed that out of three injured labourers, one labourer Ashok Patra has been discharged from hospital. The other two Bikash Jaysingh and Samrat Hembramb are still under treatment in Cuttack. On last Friday, three labourers of had sustained injuries after being exposed to vapours from SAP. These workers of PPL were carrying out some repair work at the SAP of PPL.