Amid fresh cases of assault on African nationals and outrage by envoys of African countries over killing of a Congolese youth, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on Sunday spoke to Home Minister Rajnath Singh and Delhi Lt Governor Najeeb Jung to ensure safety of the community and strict action against the guilty.
The government has also decided to transport the Congolese national’s mortal remains to the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The external affairs minister said both Singh and Jung assured her that the culprits will be arrested soon.
"I have spoken to Shri Rajnath Singh ji and Lt Governor Delhi reg attack on African nationals in South Delhi yesterday.
"They assured me that the culprits will be arrested soon and sensitisation campaign will be launched in areas where African nationals reside," Swaraj tweeted.
"I have asked Gen VK Singh, MoS and Secretary Amar Sinha to meet# African students who have announce demonstration at Jantar Mantar," she said in another tweet.
Sinha, Secretary (Economic Relations) in the MEA has been in touch with African community following the attacks.
African students are planning demonstrations on Tuesday at Jantar Mantar seeking action against the guilty.
Separately, External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Vikas Swarup said government will assist the family of the Congolese youth Masunda Kitanda Oliver to come to India and to take his mortal remains.
"In the unfortunate death of Mr.Masunda Oliver, the Government will assist his family to travel to India to receive his mortal remains. We will also arrange for his mortal remains to be transported to DR Congo at our expense," he said.
Envoys of African countries on Thursday had expressed shock over killing of Oliver here last week following which India assured them of safety of African nationals.