Gaelle Chouteau, the 20-year-old French national who went missing briefly before being found on Thursday in Alwar, thanked the local police in Alwar and Rajasthan police for tracing her to Saarkela village in the city located 160 km from state capital Jaipur.

Chouteau was reported missing from 1 June, a day after she had left Pushkar for Jaipur. When the police found Chouteau, she was found to be learning organic farming at a farmhouse in the village.

In a video shared by Rajasthan Police via its official Twitter handle, Chouteau is seen expressing her gratitude to the police for taking the pains to locate her.

“I am here for the past 15 days and for this duration I haven’t contacted my parents. So they grew worried and filed a missing person complaint. Alwar police found me and told me that my parents are worried about me [sic],” said Chouteau.

“Now I am happy, my parents are happy. I want to thank Alwar police and India for taking care of tourists,” the young French national, who appears visibly happy in the video, said.


Chouteau had not contacted her parents for the last 15 days before she was found. When the police inquired why, she said that she had dropped a message on WhatsApp but her parents never saw it.

“So they had no news about my leaving Pushkar,” she told the police.

Her case was brought to national attention after Alexandre Ziegler, the French Ambassador in India, took to Twitter requesting information on her whereabouts.

“Ms Gaëlle CHOUTEAU, 20 years, 5’3”, has been missing since 1st June 2018. When last in touch, she was leaving Pushkar to go to Jaipur. If you have any information about her, please write to us at: admin-francais․[email protected],” he had written on 13 June.

Read More: French woman missing from Rajasthan for 13 days

External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj had taken note of the tweet following which the Rajasthan police launched an intensive search operation. Chouteau was found the very next day by SHO Sunil Jangid in a farmhouse under Chaupanki police station. The Rajasthan police said that she was found safe and secure.

Chouteau said that she came to the village by boarding a bus from Pushkar.