A homeless man died after his tent caught fire at a night-shelter in Delhi’s Kashmiri Gate area, a police official said on Saturday.

The incident occurred on the night of Holi festival (on Friday). Three fire tenders were used to douse the fire, according to an official said.

The body of the unidentified man was found in the remains of the burnt tent of the night shelter run by a non-government organisation at Yamuna Bazar, the police said.

More than a dozen people were in the night shelter when the fire started last night. Except the deceased, others managed to escape, he said.

Police suspect a short-circuit may have led to the fire, the official said, adding that an investigation is underway.

The body of deceased has been sent for autopsy.

(With agency inputs)