Follow Us:

Madrasa fire leaves 15 children injured in Muzzaffarnagar

The injured students were admitted to Muzaffarnagar district hospital from where 11 were referred to the Meeeut Medical College and Hospital where their condition is stated to be stable.

Statesman News Service | Meerut |

At least 15 children sustained burns when a fire broke out at Jamia Arabia Ashraful madarsa in Sujdu village of Muzzaffarnagar district post Thursday midnight. The madrasa fire spread after a refrigerator went up in flames and exploded in the room where the students were sleeping.

The injured students were admitted to the Muzaffarnagar district hospital from where 11 were referred to the Meeeut Medical College and Hospital where their condition is stated to be stable.

According to Chief Medical Surgeon of Meerut Medical College and Hospital Dr Harshwardhan, these 11 children were brought around 2 am with burns. He said three of them had suffered between 20 and 30 per cent burns while the rest reported with 10 to 20 per cent burns. The doctor said the children had been kept under observation and were being treated for their injuries.

According to sources, the fire broke out in a room of Jamia Arabia Asharful madarsa is Sujdu village of Muzaffarnagar district late Thursday night. Due to heavy rains, there was no electricity supply in the area, and a lit candle had been kept on top of the refrigerator kept in the room where students where all 15 students were sleeping. Suddenly, the sources said, the refrigerator caught fire after coming in contact with the candle’s flame. Apparently, the fire led to a blast in the compressor.

Hearing screams of the children, people rushed towards the room and rushed the injured children to hospital.