Serving a life sentence for murdering their daughter, Aarushi and domestic help, Hemraj, dentist couple – Rajesh and Nupur Talwar’s fate will be decided by the Allahabad High Court on Thursday, nine years after the horrific double murder.
Here’s a timeline of the horrific incident:
* May 16: Aarushi Talwar, daughter of dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur Talwar, found dead with her throat slit in the bedroom of her Noida home.
* May 17: Body of Hemraj, the Talwars’ domestic help, found on the terrace.
* May 23: Aarushi’s father Rajesh arrested for double murder.
* May 31: Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) takes over case.
* June 13: Krishna, Rajesh’s compounder, arrested by the CBI. Ten days later, Raj Kumar, the servant of a doctor friend of the Talwars, and Vijay Mandal, the domestic help of Talwars’ neighbour, also nabbed.
* July 12: Rajesh set free by court after CBI fails to present evidence against him.
* Jan 5: CBI moves court to conduct narco test on the Talwar couple.
* Dec 29: The CBI files closure report, stating Rajesh is the main suspect but there is not enough evidence against him.
* Feb 9: A special Ghaziabad court orders that Rajesh and Nupur Talwar be tried for Aarushi’s murder. The couple also face allegations of destruction of evidence. A CBI special court in Ghaziabad issues bailable warrants against the couple for not being present in court.
* Jan 6: Supreme Court dismissed Talwar’s plea and allows the trial to proceed.
* June 11: Trial started before Special Judge S Lal.
* April 30: Nupur Talwar arrested.
* May 25: Rajesh and Nupur charged by Ghaziabad court with murder, destruction of evidence and conspiracy.
* April: CBI officer tells court that Aarushi, Hemraj were killed by the Talwars. CBI also tells court that Aarushi and Hemraj were found in objectionable position.
* May 3: Defence counsel pleads before a special court to summon 14 people, including former CBI joint director Arun Kumar as witness. CBI opposes the plea.
* May 6: Trial court dismisses Talwar’s petition for summoning 14 witnesse. It orders recording of statements of Rajesh and Nupur.
* May 13: Supreme Court refuses to entertain the Talwars’ petition.
* Oct 10:Final arguments begin.
* Oct 18: In closing arguments, the CBI said that the couple “misled” investigators.
* Nov 25:Talwar couple convicted by a special CBI court, sent to Dasna jail, Ghaziabad.
* Nov 26:Quantum of punishment delivered and Talwars were sentenced to life in prison by CBI court.
* Sep 5: Nupur Talwar released on parole for three weeks as her ailing mother needed medical attention.
(With inputs from agencies)