The US and Taliban negotiators on Monday made progress on establishing safe zones once the American forces started leaving Afghanistan, according to sources.

The sources said that based on the safe zone strategy, there will be ceasefire announced in every province from where US forces would leave while nationwide ceasefire will be implemented after the complete withdrawal, TOLO News reported.

Taking to Twitter, Taliban spokesman in Doha Suhai Shaheen is also part of the group’s negotiating team, said that the two sides had lengthy discussions late Sunday which lasted until midnight.

The Taliban has convened an internal meeting after which they will again resume discussions with the US negotiators.

However, US Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation, Zalmay Khalilzad has rejected the reports that said Washington would stop funding the Afghan National Security and Defence Forces as part of a peace deal.

Khalilzad who leads the US in the talks with the Taliban in Doha said that no one should be “intimidated or fooled by propaganda” regarding the US’s support to the Afghan security forces.

Last week, the US and Taliban agreed to resume peace talks in Doha, Qatar which aimed at chalking out a deal on the withdrawal of American forces from Afghanistan in exchange for a Taliban commitment on security and negotiations with the government in Kabul.

Last month, Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani had asked the US government to clarify about President Donald Trump’s remark where he claimed that “he could easily win the war in 10 days” but that he didn’t “want to kill millions of people”.

Last year, the Taliban were preparing to send a delegation for talks with US officials about ending the conflict in Afghanistan and the meeting could address a possible prisoner swap.

Meanwhile, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani on Wednesday assured that peace would finally prevail in the war-torn country and that the nation should not have any concern about the ongoing talks between the US and the Taliban in Doha.

US Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation, Zalmay Khalilzad rejected media reports that said Washington would stop funding the Afghan National Security and Defence Forces as part of a peace deal.

Khalilzad who leads the US in the talks with the Taliban in Doha said that no one should be “intimidated or fooled by propaganda” regarding the US’s support to the Afghan security forces.