Alphabet Inc’s YouTube warned of removing more videos and other content related to dangerous or misleading coronavirus information, as the company’s Artificial Intelligence (AI)-based system will be operating with less human oversight after sending the majority of staffs home during the pandemic.
In a blog post, Alphabet and Google CEO Sundar Pichai said the company’s AI has already taken down thousands of such misleading videos on the virus. He also said that the system has also blocked hundreds of thousands of ads attempting to capitalize on the coronavirus pandemic.
“Last week, we announced a temporary ban on all ads for medical masks and respirators,” he said on Monday.
“We continue to remove videos that promote medically unproven methods to prevent coronavirus in place of seeking medical treatment. On Google Maps, our automated and manual review systems continue to take down false and harmful content such as fake reviews and misleading information about healthcare locations,” Pichai elaborated.
Speaking on its coronavirus tracking and screening website, Pichai said that it is delayed to “later this week”.
“With local and national guidance evolving rapidly, Google will continue working with relevant agencies and authorities to roll out a website later this week that will surface authoritative information for people in the US, including on screening and testing,” Google said in a statement.
Pichai said the company is partnering with the US government in developing a website dedicated to COVID-19 education, prevention, and local resources nationwide.
“Right now on the Google homepage we’re promoting the “Do the Five” campaign to raise awareness of simple measures people can take to slow the spread of the disease, according to the WHO,” he informed.
“Do the Five” raises awareness of simple measures people can take to slow the spread of the disease, according to the World Health Organization.
“On YouTube, we’re using the homepage to direct users to videos from the CDC or other locally relevant public health agencies. We’re highlighting content from authoritative sources when people search for COVID-19, and inserting information panels to provide additional context from high-quality sources,” Pichai said.
Google is also witnessing more people using the premium features of Meet, its video conferencing app, which is made available to all G Suite customers at no cost until July 1.
“Through our philanthropic arm Google.org, we are committing $50 million to the global COVID-19 response, focusing on health and science, access to educational resources and small business support,” said Pichai.
(With input from agencies)