Follow Us:

Czech Republic vs England: 20 arrested after English fans clash with police in Prague

The Statesman Desk |

20 people were arrested after English fans clashed with police during the Euro 2020 qualifying match between Czech Republic and England in Prague on Friday.

Gearing up for the match, touring fans had set up base in a square in the Old Town section of the city. They went on with their traditional aggressive approach, calling the wrath of the police.

While a warning was given, the English supporters paid no heed to it and forced the authority to come down at the square in the protective riot gear. The police then retaliated with stun grenades after the visitors threw bottles at them.

Though the police had prior information about an eventual riot owning up to the match, there has been no official statement from the authorities as of yet. It is also to be discovered whether the arrested had the tickets to the game or not.

Further to the dismay of the English fans, Czech Republic stunned their football team to hand them a 2-1 defeat in the qualifying tournament.

The visitors were up to a positive start to the game after their captain Harry Kane converted a penalty in the fifth minute following a clumsy foul on Raheem Sterling by Lukas Masopust.

That did not deter the spirit of the home team as they equalized within four minutes. Jakub Brabec scored from a corner to send a wave of ecstasy at the Sinobo Arena.

Both the teams played attacking football and tried to see the face of the goal but failed to attain that before heading towards the tunnel for the break with the scoreline of 1-1.

While the second half saw a cautious approach from both the sides, England built up a brilliant chance to take the lead again. But Czech Republic goalkeeper Tomas Vaclik denied Sterling the chance to take his country ahead.

Making debut for his country, substitute Zdenek Ondrasek scored for the home team in the 85th minute to end the Three Lions’ decade-long unbeaten run in any qualifying tournaments.