Seeking justice for the victims of 26/11 Mumbai terror attack, India on Monday said Pakistan was showing little sincerity in bringing the perpetrators to justice.
Expressing deep anguish, the government further stated that the planners of 26/11 were still roaming the streets of Pakistan with impunity.
The Mumbai terror attack was planned, executed and launched from Pakistan territory, a statement released by the Ministry of External Affairs said.
“The former Prime Minister of Pakistan had earlier this year admitted that the terrorists were sent from Pakistan’s soil. We once again call on the Government of Pakistan to give up double standards and to expeditiously bring the perpetrators of the horrific attack to justice. This is not just a matter of Pakistan’s accountability to the families of the innocent victims who fell to terrorists, but also an international obligation,” it added.
The Government of India will continue its efforts to bring justice to the families of the victims and the martyrs, the statement read.
India also welcomed the statement issued by the US calling on Pakistan to uphold their UN Security Council obligations to implement sanctions against the terrorists responsible for the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, including Lashkar-e-Tayyiba and its affiliates.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had on Sunday urged Pakistan to take action against those responsible for the 2008 Mumbai attacks as Washington offered a new reward of $5 million for helping secure their capture.
The announcement came on the eve of the tenth anniversary of the assault, which left 166 people dead and hundreds injured after terrorists from Pakistan unleashed a wave of violence across India’s financial capital lasting three days.
It is the third such reward offered by the US after the State Department announced bounties of $10 million for Lashkar-e-Tayyiba (LeT) founder Hafiz Mohammad Saeed and $2 million for Hafiz Abdul Rahman Makki, another senior leader of the group.
Earlier in the day, President Ram Nath Kovind, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj, in separate messages, expressed their firm solidarity with the families of the victims and martyrs.
A solemn memorial event and wreath-laying ceremony were organised earlier today by the State Government of Maharashtra at the Police Memorial in Mumbai and the Memorial at Taj Hotel, Mumbai.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis along with other state dignitaries and members of the Diplomatic Corps participated in the events.