Amid anger over the Mumbai bridge collapse that killed 6 people on Thursday evening despite audit, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said that he has asked for “primary responsibility to be fixed by Friday evening”.
Six people have been reported dead and 32 injured in the past 12 hours since a foot overbridge collapsed on Thursday evening near the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CSMT) Railway Station.
Fadnavis on Friday visited the spot where the foot overbridge near the CSMT railway station collapsed. The chief minister also met the injured in the hospital.
Hours a portion of an overhead pedestrian bridge outside the CSMT railway station came crashing down, Fadnavis clarified that the authorities had already conducted a structural audit of the structure and found nothing wrong with it.
“A structural audit of the bridge had earlier been done, and it was found to be fit. If such an incident happened even after that, it raises a question on the audit. An inquiry will be carried out. Strictest action will be taken,” he added.
Police registered cases against Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) and Indian Railway officials charging them with culpable homicide.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has announced Rs 5 lakh ex gratia each to the kin of deceased and Rs 50,000 to the injured. He has also ordered a high level probe into the Thursday’s incident.
Railways, senior police officials, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and BMC teams were overseeing operations on Friday.
This was the third footbridge collapse in the city in the last 18 months — occurred around 7.35 p.m. as the bridge was reportedly overloaded with commuters hurrying to their homes, the BMC Disaster Control said.
Connecting the CSMT’s suburban platform No. 1 with the B.T. Lane near The Times of India Building and the Anjuman-e-Islam School, it was used by thousands of daily commuters rushing to catch the local trains on Central Railway and the Harbour Line.