Follow Us:



3 terrorists killed, soldier martyred in encounter in J-K’s Ramban; hostage rescued

The encounter in Batote ensued after two suspected terrorists tried to stop a civil vehicle early today morning on NH244.

SNS | New Delhi |


Three terrorists were neutralised by security forces in an encounter in Batote in Ramban district of Jammu and Kashmir and the civilian, who was held hostage, was rescued after a nearly five-hour-long standoff, the Army said on Saturday.

However, an Army jawan lost his life in the encounter and two police officers were injured in rescue operations.

“We have killed three terrorists in the gunfight, which has ended. One soldier was also killed in action,” Army spokesperson in Jammu region Lieutenant Colonel Devender Anand told news agency PTI.

Search operations are underway and further details are awaited.

Earlier, a police spokesman said a group of five terrorists are trapped in the town. The trapped terrorists had fired at the Quick Reaction Team (QRT) of the Army in the morning and tried to escape but were chased by the security forces and encircled in a house, he said.

The officials said the fresh exchange of fire started between the holed up terrorists and the security forces at around 1 pm after intense search operation despite inclement weather.

Meanwhile, the owner of the house, who was held hostage by the terrorists, has been rescued.

The encounter in Batote ensued after two suspected terrorists tried to stop a civil vehicle early today morning on NH244. The alert driver, however, did not stop the vehicle and informed Army QRT (Quick Response Team). The security forces reacted quickly and conducted an operation in the area.

In another encounter, two terrorists have been reportedly killed in Ganderbal. Weapon and warlike stores have been recovered and a joint operation is in progress. But an official confirmation is still awaited.

This group of militants, according to sources, could have recently infiltrated into the Valley from across the Line of Control (LoC) in Gurez sector.

The Pakistan army has been violating the ceasefire in Gurez sector during the last three days and defence sources said the ceasefire violation is intended to facilitate the infiltration of terrorists into the state.

The third incident was reported from downtown Srinagar, where terrorists threw a grenade on CRPF troops earlier in the day. No one was injured in the attack.

The attacks come as the Army has informed that about 500 infiltrators were waiting to infiltrate into India.

National Security Advisor (NSA), Ajit Doval, on Thursday asked the troops to be on high alert in view of the reports that Pakistan sponsored terror outfits may carry out some demonstrative and sensational acts of terror.

Post the revocation of Article 370, militants have been resorting to civilian killings and threats to instil fear among the people so that the return of normalcy is prevented in the valley.

NSA Ajit Doval had also said that more than 200 terrorists were trying to cross into India from Pakistan and Islamabad was trying to stoke violence in the region.

Saturday’s attacks come a day after Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan raised Kashmir issue at the 74th session of UN General Assembly on Friday.