In the current age many graduates come armed with enough proficiency of skill set yet lacking essential qualities. Unemployment is one of the greatest diseases plaguing the world with a developing nation like India witnessing a great slump.
In such fraught situation it is imperative to build a well rounded set of skills to get an added advantage above competition.
We all are keen to know what it takes to fall into the selection parameters of employers.
Here is a list of those appropriate skill sets that you need to choose while you are in college so that employers can “choose you”.
- Communication: An effective communication is the key to success. The way you speak is a trait that is noticed by each employer and such a skill set is in great demand in the job market. In seven out of 10 employers rue that it is not easily to find a graduate who have excellent written and oral communication skills. If an individual is able to demonstrate this skill effectively, then he already has edge over other candidates.
- Nurture your EQ: Though technical skills are also important, but we cannot ignore “Emotional intelligence”. It is an inborn trait that resides in all of us. It completes the whole persona as a fundamental element of human behaviour and also affects our decision making ability at the workplace. Effective EQ is a valuable trait as it helps to provide a humane touch to all the interaction once goes through in the professional sphere.
- Body language: Recruiters also check for body language, personal presentation and grooming skills in a candidate. Gone are the days when one could get away with only proficient skill set. formal attire, pleasing personality, a good handshake, eye contact, showing your acknowledgement, etc, are certain important tools that can strengthens your chances of “being hired”. A winning body language sets an ideal candidate apart from just the ordinaries.
- Adaptability: We are bound to come across a plethora of personalities. It is wise to get along with all sorts as we can generate help from everybody. A rigid mentality stops from attaining larger goals and act as an inhibitor. Being flexible to surrounding and people is imperative. In future, we might come across people with contrasting personalities and work styles coming out of our comfort zone. There is no better trigger for an organisation than having an adaptable and selfmotivated employee in a team.
- Attention to detail: In any organisation even the most difficult task needs to be broken down into molecular level to tackle them efficiently. Recruiters look for candidates who pay attention to finer details, so as to succeed in the given task. In a corporate setup there are very minute aspects that need to be taken care of and hence, it is inappropriate to ignore little details that will matter. Recruiters these days look for disruptive ideas, which is possible only if we pay attention to every single detail.
These tips may form the crux of basic lacking but there is more to this than required. Although it may take a while to master, gaining knowledge from this will provide an additional boost to the otherwise basic resume.
The ability to think logically and solve problems creatively will make you valuable to any team.
The writer is executive director, Tula's Institute, Dehradun.