The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the deadly attack on Saturday that killed six soldiers in Syria’s southern province of Daraa.

The jihadist group said that it was responsible for a “suicide operation” during which one of its fighters sprayed soldiers with machine-gun fire before detonating an “explosive vest”.

The claim posted late on Saturday on the Telegram messaging app.

Earlier on Monday, IS had claimed for a deadly car bombing in Damascus, where a civilian was killed when a vehicle exploded in the southern suburb of Qadam.

A suicide bombing but said it happened during an “army raid” that targeted “terrorists”, a term used by authorities to describe rebels and jihadists. It did not give a death toll., SANA News reported.

Syria’s eight-year conflict, which evolved from a brutal crackdown on anti-government protests into a full-blown civil war involving regional and international players, has killed more than 370,000 people.

Last March, a US-backed Kurdish-Arab alliance expelled IS from its last patch of territory in eastern Syria.

But the jihadists retain a presence in the country’s vast Badia desert and still claim deadly attacks, mostly in the Kurdish-held northeast.