Follow Us:

5 ways cow’s milk is good for kids above 2 years of age

Milk contains high-quality protein with all nine essential amino acids present. 

Dr. Vandana Verma | New Delhi | Updated :

Milk does well to the body especially for the development and maintenance of strong bones and teeth. Adding dairy to your daily diet helps you achieve a balanced diet.

Here is how cow’s milk is good for health.

  • Cows milk is the complete food for children above 2 years:

Milk contains high-quality protein with all nine essential amino acids present.  It is made up of 80% casein protein, which slowly releases protein at regular interval of time while remaining 20% is whey, which is easily digestible and highly absorbed protein helps to build muscle mass, repair body tissues and fight against infections. Besides, it also has a fair balance of carbohydrates and fats which complete it as a wholesome meal hence can be called “The Complete Food” for every age group.

  • Nutritional Benefits of cow’s milk: 

High in Potassium and Calcium, which plays a crucial role in improving bone and teeth health, preventing fractures and other bone diseases. Cow’s milk is a major contributor of retinol (preformed vitamin A), potent antioxidant in the diets of young children, although inappropriate practices can lead to losses of vitamins from milk and milk products as they are susceptible to losses due to heat, exposure to air, light, change in pH or combination of these factors.

Since, cow milk is also a rich source of choline, an important nutrient for synthesis of neurotransmitter acetylcholine that plays important role in regulating mood, memory, and intelligence; it can prove to be a miracle drink for every age group. Vitamin D is not naturally present in cow’s milk, but it may be added alongside other nutrients to fortify cow’s milk. Vitamin D is important for bone health.

It aids in the formation, growth, and repair of bones and also plays an important role in calcium absorption and overall immune function. A cup of fortified cow’s milk in your child’s daily diet will ensure a reduced risk of osteoporosis, depression, chronic fatigue, muscle pain, hypertension, and

  • Importance of Homogenization:

Homogenized milk is simply passing milk through a process whereby, we break down fat globules present in milk to evenly blend. This process prevents the creamy layer from forming on top without affecting its nutrition.  Since kids usually dislike the smell,  appearance and taste of this cream, homogenized cow’s milk works out as the most favourable option for them while keeping the nutrition intact.

  • Overall growth and development: 

Physical development is an important indicator of a child’s overall health. It is a surprising scientific fact that children who consume cow’s milk grow taller. A recent study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that 2-6-year-olds who consumed cow’s milk were taller than those who consumed plant-based or other types of animal-milk beverages. A 3-year-old child who drank 3 cups of cow’s milk a day was 1.5 cm taller than a child of the same age who drank other types of milk.

Cow milk is a good source of B vitamins which ensures healthy functioning of the brain, nervous system and sleep-wake cycles. Cow’s milk has a very low content of linoleic acid (LA), but a more favourable LA/alpha-linolenic ratio, which is likely to be the reason why DHA levels seem to be more favorable in kids drinking cow’s milk compared to kids drinking milk from other sources. Cow’s milk has a high content of calcium and other essential minerals required for bone density, in addition to proteins,, which makes it an important dietary consideration for not only your bones but also the teeth. As you age, the bone-mineral density increases, and consuming milk can help you keep up your strength, so cow’s milk is not good for kids but also beneficial for adults.

  • Keeping nutrients intact: 

Milk should not be boiled for over 3 minutes as it loses its nutrition through over boiling. Do not store them or microwave them in plastic containers as they are carcinogenic. Always store milk in a clean vessel to avoid contamination.