The Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA), which had given the building that collapsed in Mumbai on Tuesday, to a private builder for re-development, said action would be taken against those responsible for any lacunae.

MHADA Chairman Uday Samant said the building, located in Dongri area, was under their jurisdiction but given to a private builder for re-development.

“If the developer has delayed re-development of the collapsed building, then he will face action. If some MHADA officials are responsible for the delay in its development, then they will also face strict action,” he said.

Samant said he has asked the officials concerned to collect all the required information pertaining to the building for further action.

At least three people have been killed and 40 others are feared trapped as a 100-year-old four-storey building collapsed in the Dongri area of Maharashtra’s Mumbai earlier on Tuesday.

So far, seven people who were injured, have been rescued from under the debris.

The building going by the name Kesarbai collapsed at Tandel street, in Dongri, with 40-50 people feared trapped in the rubble of the structure.

Search and rescue operations are underway at the collapse site.

Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said that as per the initial information, around 15 families are feared trapped in the collapse adding that the building was around 100 years old.

He further said that the Minister for Water Resources & Irrigation and Medical Education, Girish Mahajan has been directed to take care of all medical needs of the victims.

Fadnavis also said that an inquiry will be announced after going into all the details.

Meanwhile, state Housing Minister Radhakrishna Vikhe Patil said his government’s priority was to save lives of the people trapped under the collapsed building’s debris.

(With PTI inputs)