Following the massive fire that broke out in a building in the Sarthana area of Gujarat’s Surat on Friday, the Surat Municipal Corporation, on Monday, carried out a demolition drive against illegal structures in the city.
In another incident reported from Surat, Gujarat, one person was killed and one injured after the wall of a house collapsed in the Vesu area of the city on Monday.
22 students, including 18 girls of an art and craft coaching institute had died when a major fire broke out on the second floor of Takshila Commercial Complex in Sarthana area of Surat on Friday.
Reports say that a short circuit may have caused the fire.
Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani had announced a compensation of Rs 4 lakh each to the families of the victims.
“There has been an incident of fire in Surat’s coaching class in which small kids have died. This incident is very saddening. State government will give Rs 4 lakh financial help to the families of kids who died. Children injured will be given proper and fast treatment,” he said.
Gujarat Chief Secretary JN Singh, while giving details about the fire on Sunday, said that the presence of inflammable materials, including flex and tyres contributed to the raging fire. Singh also informed that the fire tenders were stationed away from the spot, four-storeyed Takshila Commercial Complex, located in Sarthana area of Surat city. The distance caused a delay of about 45 minutes for the fire tenders to reach the spot in time.
Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has asked Additional Chief Secretary of Urban Development Department, Mukesh Puri, to conduct a thorough inquiry and submit a report on Monday, he had said.
“This incident was a wake-up call for us and we are sorry and sad about it. We are taking all necessary steps to ensure that such incidents do not take place in future,” Singh added.