Follow Us:

Shailza Dwivedi murder | Police to recreate sequence of crime

The sharp-edged weapon with which Shailza was killed is yet to be recovered.

SNS | New Delhi |

Army Major Nikhil Rai Handa, accused in the Shailza Dwivedi murder case, will be taken to Meerut to ascertain the places he had visited after the incident, police said.

The sharp-edged weapon with which 35-year-old Shailza, wife of Army Major Amit Dwivedi, was killed is yet to be recovered.

The police will recreate the sequence of events to ascertain where Handa could have thrown the knife with which he slit the victim’s throat.

On Tuesday, the police took Handa to some places in southwest Delhi to identify the places where he could have thrown the knife.

The police also spoke to his family members to know if they had any idea about his plan to kill Shailza.

The 40-year-old was arrested from Meerut on Sunday. He had allegedly fled to the Uttar Pradesh town after committing the crime on Saturday. Handa had been posted in Meerut earlier for three years and knew some people there, according to the police. It was reported that Handa planned to surrender before the Army there hoping for an internal probe into the matter.

READ | Major Nikhil Handa wanted to marry Shailza Dwivedi, made 3000 calls this year: Police

Police had said he was “obsessed” with Shailza.

The woman’s body was found with her throat slit near the Brar Square in the Delhi Cantonment area on Saturday.

Initially, the police were informed that a woman had died in an accident. On inspection of the body, the police found that her throat had been slit and a car had run over her body to make it look like an accident.

Earlier, Shailza had been dropped at the Army Base Hospital in her husband’s official vehicle by a driver who could not find her when he came back to pick her up later. According to the police, he also learnt that she did not attend her scheduled physiotherapy session for her ankle problem.

READ | Major Nikhil Handa stabbed Shailza Dwivedi after argument with wife on phone: Police

According to media reports, Handa had more women friends in Delhi and he had made a call to one of them minutes after allegedly killing Shailza and “confessed” about the crime.

The police said this woman was older to him. Quoting an officer who interrogated Handa and went through the content on his mobile phones, a report in Hindustan Times said: “He is most attached to this woman. But when he told her about killing Shailza Dwivedi, she thought he was bluffing and disconnected the phone call. She did not feel the need to alert the police.”

The woman was questioned by the police about the Shailza Dwivedi murder, but she said she had no knowledge about it.

The police said they had made conscious efforts to ensure her relationship remained a secret.

“The woman is a divorcee and has grown-up children. We tried to ensure her relatives or neighbours did not get a whiff about her relations with Handa,” the HT report said quoting the officer.

READ | Violence against women bothers me to the core: Shailja Dwivedi

Handa allegedly had a fake Facebook profile using which he would send friend requests to unknown women.

He had first met Shailza through Facebook in 2015 when he was posted in Srinagar. Later, both Handa and Shailza’s husband Amit Dwivedi were posted in Dimapur.

The police have said Handa was obsessed with Shailza and wanted to marry her, and that he killed her for objecting to his marriage proposal and unwanted advances.

(With agency inputs)