The one thing that remains constant is change. This universal truth emphasises on the importance of change in the evolution of communities and societies. Implementing change requires not only careful and insightful planning, but also a well-planned implementation, without which the former collapses; hence, the importance of public policy making and policy makers.
The above goes to explain the growing demand for public policy as a career choice for the current generation, and promises to stay as one of the sought after career choices, keeping in mind the current trend. The options, post completion of the study, cover: the government sector that has increasingly opened its doors to welcoming experts from outside bureaucratic ranks; private consultancies and corporations, where is also a greater demand for professionals skilled in public policy to take up roles in traditional corporations, who employ policy professionals regularly to assist the Company’s work with the government or to influence policy; in the political areas, where political parties and even individual politicians seek professional assistance in policy matters; research and development and entrepreneurship.
Various institutes, in India and abroad, offer courses in Public Policy. Some of the institutes located in India are as under:
• Indian School of Business, Hyderabad
• The Indian School of Public Policy, New Delhi
• School of Policy & Governance, Azim Premji University, Bangalore
• Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad
• Indian Institute of Management Bangalore
• Indian Institute of Management Calcutta
• Indian Institute of Public Administration, New Delhi
• School of Public Policy and Governance, MDI Gurgaon
• School of Public Policy and Governance Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Hyderabad
• Jindal School of Government and Public Policy, Sonipat, Haryana
• The Takshashila Institution, an independent think tank and school of public policy
The remuneration, as a public policy expert, varies depending on the function/role, background, experience and skills, as also the domain in which one is engaged, and the ongoing demand. However, besides the remuneration, the domain offers the possibility to design and implement change on an extensive, intensive and scalable level. It opens doors to design customized solutions of intercultural nature to global challenges, and enhances the holistic development of an individual. Policy making is a career where you advice decision makers on critical decision making decisions, involving diverse stakeholders, giving you tremendous responsibility.
If you want to build a network of diverse stakeholders, across many domains, with whom you interact on an intensive and expensive basis; have it in you to be the change you wish to see – the change you, your community, and the country are waiting for; are intellectually curious and socially conscious, then public policy may well be a choice for you as a career path.
(Sarah Berry is a Consultant – Public Diplomacy, Outreach and Communications)