Follow Us:

No discrimination in NRC process, no Indian will be left out, assures Rajnath Singh

Rajnath Singh also hit out at some political parties, saying they are trying to create an atmosphere of fear among the people.

SNS | New Delhi |

Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Friday assured that there will be no discrimination or unnecessary harassment in the entire updation process of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) and said it was being carried out in a fair and transparent manner.

“The process is fair and transparent. We are doing everything according to the guidelines laid down by the Supreme Court. Every step is being followed,” said the minister in a statement in the Rajya Sabha.

“I am reiterating that it is not the final NRC. It is just a draft NRC. Adequate opportunity will be provided to everyone for the claims and objections. Despite it, if anybody’s name remains out of the list, he can approach the Foreigners Tribunal.”

Also Read | TMC-BJP face-off over NRC rages in Parliament

“I assure everyone that no Indian citizen will be left out. There is absolutely no need to worry,” he added assuring that that there would be no coercive action against those who had been left out of the National Register of Citizens for Assam.

During his speech in the Rajya Sabha, Rajnath Singh said that the citizens will not be robbed off their rights.

“Everyone will get a chance to apply for citizenship once we have a final list. They will have full rights… nothing will be taken away from them,” he said.

“Please maintain peace, harmony and public order. To aid this, we have provided the Assam government with all the required security forces,” he added.

The minister also hit out at some political parties, saying they are trying to create an atmosphere of fear among the people.

“It is unfortunate that some persons with vested interest are running a propaganda on social media so that the issue can be internationalised and communal harmony be affected,” he said.

Read More | NRC row will destroy ties with Bangladesh, warns Mamata Banerjee

The opposition parties have left no stone unturned in attacking the government over the NRC draft list which left out 40 lakh people in Assam.

Rajya Sabha once again witnessed loud protests on Friday as the TMC members protested against the detention of party’s delegation at the airport in Assam’s Silchar, where they had gone to address public meetings in a campaign against the citizens’ list.

(With agency inputs)