A Defence Ministry spokesman on Sunday confirmed that nine people were killed in the ongoing anti-terror operation in an army camp in Jammu and Kashmir.
Speaking to media persons here, Colonel Devendra Anand said three terrorists have been killed in the operation that has been going on since Saturday inside the Sunjuwan army station in Jammu city.
Earlier reports said that four terrorists had been killed, but the Defence Ministry spokesman said he could so far confirm the killing of only three terrorists.
“Five soldiers have been martyred in this operation. A civilian, father of a soldier, also lost his life. So far, we have killed three terrorists.
“All of them were wearing army fatigues. Search and sanitization operation is still going on inside the camp. AK-56 rifles, under-barrel grenade launcher, ammunition and grenades have been recovered from them,” Anand said.
“All the five martyred soldiers belonged to Jammu and Kashmir. Ten other people including six women and children have been injured in this attack. Army doctors worked through the night to save the life of a severely injured pregnant lady and through a Caesarian section surgery, she delivered a baby girl,” he added.
“A 14-year-old boy with a gunshot wound in the head, however, remains critical.”
Whether more terrorists could still be holed-up inside the camp, the spokesman neither confirmed nor denied it.
A group of heavily armed Jaish-e-Muhammad militants had entered the Sunjuwan army base station around 4.45 a.m. on Saturday.
The militants managed to enter the Junior Commissioned Officers (JCOs) quarters inside the camp while everyone was asleep.
Para commandos from the Army’s Udhampur-headquartered Northern Command were airlifted to flush out the militants. The Air Force provided aerial surveillance.
Indian Army chief Bipin Rawat arrived here on Sunday to review the operation that has not been called off even 46 hours after it started.