Follow Us:

2G verdict: Case was a political witch-hunt, says Kanimozhi

SNS | New Delhi |

After a Delhi court on Thursday acquitted all the accused in the alleged multi-thousand crore rupee 2G spectrum scandal, DMK MP Kanimozhi, who was also acquitted in the case, said that the case was a “political witch-hunt” and that her innocence had been proved.

Speaking to News18, Kanimozhi said, “Finally our innocence has been proved. I will not deliberately target anyone but there was a conspiracy and a lot of people had a hand in this. It was a political witch-hunt and wasn’t very easy.”

She added, “You are being accused of something you haven’t done and corruption charges are the worst. It means a lot for DMK because corruption has been used as a peg to slam our party.”

Talking about ongoing RK Nagar bypolls, Kanimozhi said, “I don’t think this will affect the RK Nagar bypolls as DMK is already winning. However, the verdict means a lot.

Meanwhile, Congress tweeted, “Apology or no apology, INC will emerge stronger. #CongressIsClean”


Congress leader Milind Deora said that as a former minister for Telecom & IT, he refused to pass judgement on the 2G ‘scam’. “I wish CAG & the press had done the same, that the special court delivered justice sooner & that CBI & other agencies are held accountable for serious acts of omission,” he tweed.

Priyanka Chaturvedi, Congress’ spokesperson, said, “Will the BJP now apologise to the nation for stalling parliament for years, slowing down India’s growth story, levelling baseless accusations against the then government for BJP’s hunger to be in power at any cost? Shame on their power hungry politics #2GScamVerdict.”

Meanwhile, BJP leader Subramanian Swamy tweeted, “Congis and Allies celebrated JJ HC acquittal. Then in SC got deflated. Same will be here.”

A Delhi court acquitted all the accused in the alleged multi-thousand crore rupee 2G spectrum scandal on Thursday.

Special Judge O.P. Saini acquitted all the accused, including then Telecom Minister A. Raja and DMK MP Kanimohi, in both the cases filed by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Enforcement Directorate (ED).

Former telecom Minster A Raja one of the accused in 2G spectrum allocation case, arrives at Patiala House Court in New Delhi on May 5, 2014. (Photo: IANS)

The alleged scam on the issuance of licences and allocation of 2G spectrum by the Department of Telecom occurred during the Congress-led UPA government’s first tenure in 2008 but was widely reported in 2010 following a report by the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG).