French fries are one of the most enjoyed snacks across the globe. Dipped in ketchup or mayonnaise, it serves as a perfect side snack and some prefer to enjoy it as a complete dish.
French fries are a treat universally enjoyed by people of all ages. Why these deep-fried potatoes are loved so much? They satisfy people’s taste buds in more than one way. From gravy and cheese curds to mustard sauce and flavoured dips, people love to put different ingredients on their French fries throughout the world.
Here is a quick and easy recipe of perfect French fries that are crispy from outside, soft from inside and too good in taste. Double frying makes this dish truly crisp and difficult to resist, taste really great!
Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 30 min
Large potatoes 4
Cold water 10 cups
Regular salt as required
Sugar ¼ tsp
Peanut oil for frying
· Wash the potatoes well and peal them.
· Remove the top and bottom parts of potatoes to give French fries the square shape at the ends.
· Slice them having 7-8 mm thickness.
· Cut these slices in sticks having 7-8 mm width.
· Rinse these potato sticks twice or thrice in water to remove the starch as much as you can.
· Take cold water in a big bowl, add one teaspoon of salt and one-fourth teaspoon of sugar and mix well.
· Add potato sticks in this bowl filled with cold water, salt and sugar solution. Soak them for 30 minutes.
· Drain water from the potatoes and place them on paper towels to dry completely.
· Heat peanut oil in a pan. When the oil is medium hot add potato sticks in batches without crowding them.
· Stir while frying so that they can be fried evenly. Just fry them for a minute and take them out on a paper towel. Press these half-fried potato fingers with another paper towel from top to absorb excess oil.
· After removing all the batches of fries from the oil, turn off the flame. Spread them on a kitchen towel to absorb excess oil. Let them cool down at room temperature.
· Heat the same oil again to high temperature.
· Add the half-fried French fries to the hot oil in batches without crowding them.
· Stir often and keep frying them till golden crisp.
· Remove from oil and place them on paper tissues again to absorb excess oil.
· Transfer them in a big bowl. Sprinkle salt and toss them while still hot. You can also add any herbs or spices such as red chilli flakes, oregano or dry rosemary and shake them gently while still hot to coat the French fries well. These herbs and spices will give your French fries a different delicious flavour.
· Serve crisp and hot with tomato ketchup/mayonnaise or any dip of your choice.
· Soak the potato fingers in cold water having little salt and sugar to make the fries perfectly crisp.
· Rinse them twice or thrice in water to remove the starch completely. It will help prevent sticking of potato fingers during the frying process.
French fries is a delicious way to snack on potatoes. Since they were created, people have been making them in their own unique ways. It is a mouth-watering recipe that is surely going to be an instant hit among fussy eaters in your household.