A college student was killed and four injured after a speeding car went out of control and crashed into a light post on the Maa Flyover last night.
With BJP president Amit Shah set to address a rally in Kolkata today, elaborate arrangements have been made and security stepped up across the city. The venue for the Amit Shah rally is Mayo Road in central Kolkata.
With a huge turnout expected at the rally, an enormous influx from the districts is likely at the entry points of Sealdah and Howrah.
These are some of the traffic diversions and restrictions expected around the rally venue:
* All Mayo Road-bound vehicles are expected to be diverted.
* Tram services crossing through the area will remain suspended
* Dufferin Road along with Mayo Road will remain closed to traffic till the programme ends
* Vehicles plying through the Akashbani Bhawan will be diverted to Rani Rashmoni Avenue
* Jawaharlal Nehru Road-bound buses will have to be directed towards the north and then to Rani Rashmoni Avenue
A deployment of 500 police personnel has been made to maintain law and order. These personnel will be deployed at different corners, and they will also be responsible for traffic and periphery security.
Additional Commissioner Supratim Sarkar said: “Elaborate security arrangements are being done… However, no drone cameras would be allowed in the rally. We have sent a mail to the central government and CRPF said that they also will not allow drone cameras due to security reasons.”