Sri Lanka President Maithripala Sirisena on Wednesday confirmed that all the suspects who were involved in the Easter Sunday bombings have been arrested following extensive investigation and search operations carried out by security forces.

The suspects may receive the death penalty as there was clear evidence against them, according to reports.

Srisena said, “According to the country’s criminal law, a death sentence could be given to those found guilty of murder, conspiring against the state and those involved in acts of terrorism and such a punishment should be implemented to create a better society and prevent wrongdoings”, while speaking at a function in Malabe, the outskirts of Colombo.

He further said that all suspects involved in the Easter Sunday attacks should be given death sentence as over 250 people had been killed.

Earlier in the month, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said that over 60 suspects were detained while a hundred others remain in custody in connection with the case.

Speaking in the parliament, Wickremesinghe said legal action will be taken against all suspects who are connected to the nine suicide attacks which targeted churches and luxury hotels.

Wickremesinghe also said that security forces are still carrying out search and investigations.

The blasts took place at the St Anthony’s Church in Kochchikade area in Colombo, the St Sebastian’s Church in Katuwapitiya in Negombo and a third church in Batticaloa.

The Easter Sunday bombings which also injured over 500 people was the bloodiest attack in the island nation after the civil war ended in 2009.