The time is ripe for those who are looking for career options. Today medical and engineering are not the only prospects, which guarantee reputation and a high income; there are many other avenues available for students, irrespective of their academic score, both in conventional and unconventional sector. Out of these lucrative and highly potential options, one is Hospitality and Tourism Management.
In today’s era of globalisation, this industry has indeed assumed greater significance and is fast developing into an advantageous career provider. Moreover, with globalisation gaining acceptance with more and more countries, the hotel management industry is truly becoming global.
Today a training course in hospitality management encompasses training in various aspects of the business of hotel related industry, travel and tourism related industry and housekeeping and catering in the Hospitality industry (including customer care executives).
Scope: Hospitality is one of the fastest growing industries in the world today. It is one of the highest job oriented field. Hospitality management includes many different businesses like restaurants, hotels, casinos, resorts, tour agencies and airlines.
With a degree in hospitality management, there are many different types of careers that can be pursued. Many companies have begun to favour candidates with relevant education. However, extensive training and work experience is typically necessary for upper-level management positions.
Skill set: Today hotel management is considered one of the most coveted options. The aspirants of this industry should have above average skills in communication and reasoning, sound numerical aptitude and pleasing personality, therefore if candidates lacking in these skills, he\she must inculcate them.
Since hospitality management involves a high level of customer interaction, those with a natural flair for networking, especially with the corporate clients and customers and with the ability to build a rapport with key decision makers, will do well for themselves in this industry.
Eligibility: The certificate, diploma, graduation and post graduation in Hospitality Management has been thoughtfully designed for those who have recently clear their 10+2/graduation. Students who want to make their career in this field must have good communication skills with amiable personality. Command over spoken English, and knowledge of a foreign language is an added advantage.
Work Profile: Majorly this industry focuses on the need of their customers. Therefore many professional works in different departments like:
- Hotel managers —The managers are in charge of overall operations of their establishments, controls all the major aspects like finance, services, catering, food quality, decoration, housekeeping etc.
- Front office manager — Incharge of the work of the front end desk, information clerk, receptionists, & other services, coordinate reservations and room assignments.
- Executive chefs —Head the kitchens under whose direction the asst. chef prepares the menu and meal.
- Food and beverage manager— Looks after the overall work of the catering departments, plans, organises and controls the establishments from small informal dinners to large restaurants.
- Restaurant and food service managers — Are responsible for inventories and stocks of daily consumption and usage, Arranges for equipment maintenance and repairs. Maintain records of working hours, shifts and wages of employees, taxes, etc.
- Housekeeping department — Responsible for clean, orderly and well maintained ambience of the property. They supervise training, scheduling and the work of housekeeping staffs, room inspect and maintain the cleaning supplies.
Career opportunities: After completing the Diploma, Graduation or Post graduation in Hotel management students can work with five star hotels, National and International airports, cabin crew. Other options include opening your own restaurant, working as an event planner, or even pursuing career in travel or tourism or can become Lodging manager Restaurant manager Casino manager Cruise director Concierge Travel Agent Hotel/Motel Manager Event Planner Facilities, Manager.
Remuneration: After completing the graduation one can get into the industry as a trainee and then be absorbed into various positions after completing the training. The entry level salary can be around Rs 20,000 to Rs 30,000 and can increase with growing experience in the field.
The writer is director, The Hotel School.