Recently-crowned US Open champion Naomi Osaka has withdrawn her name from the upcoming edition of the Roland Garros in Paris, which is set to be played from September 27.
The world number 3, who earlier this month claimed her third Grand Slam title, is reportedly struggling with a hamstring injury which she sustained during her successful campaign at the Flushing Meadows in New York.
“Unfortunately, I won’t be able to play the French Open this year,” the 22-year-old on Friday said in a statement on social media.
The 22-year-old Japanese was seen wearing a tape on her left hamstring during her US Open final match against Victoria Azarenka where she rallied to win 1-6, 6-3, 6-3.
Meanwhile, Osaka further said that the the short amount of time between the US Open and French Open was too tight for her to recover completely.
“My hamstring is still sore so I won’t have time to prepare for the clay – these two tournaments came too close to each other for me this time. I wish the organisers and players all the best.”
Osaka joins world number one women’s singles player Ashleigh Barty in not participating in the clay-court Major. Barty, who skipped the US Open as well, had already informed that she would not feature in any Grand Slam this year until the coronavirus situation across the globe gets better.
Among men, former world number one Roger Federer had also decided to give all the Majors of this year a miss after undergoing a surgery earlier.
The French Open was originally scheduled to start in May but had to be moved back because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Meanwhile, the organisers have announced that a total of 11,500 spectators per day will be allowed at the Grand Slam. Roland Garros will be divided into three zones based on the three main courts, with 5,000 people each for the Philippe Chatrier and Suzanne Lenglen courts. The zone surrounding the third biggest court will host a maximum of 1,500 spectators a day.