India on Monday became the first Asian team to defeat Australia in a Test series on Australian soil with their 2-1 victory over the hosts following a wash out of the final match.

The victory is also the first time in 71 years since India started touring Australia.

India scored 622 for 7 in their first innings and then bowled out Australia for 300 thereby enforcing the follow-on. Rain washed out day five keeping the victory margin down to 2-1.

Cheteshwar Pujara was the toast of the series and was adjudged both Man of the Match as well as Man of the Series. With 521 runs, he was the highest run getter in the series followed by Rishabh Pant (350) and skipper Virat Kohli (282). Pujara slammed 3 centuries, with the highest being 193, in the 7 innings he played.

Among the bowlers, Jasprit Bumrah stood out with 21 wickets in 8 innings – the joint highest wicket-taker in the series with Nathan Lyon.

But while the Australian bowlers did fare well, the batsmen couldn’t do much with the willow. Harris was the highest scorer with 258 runs in 8 innings, fourth in the most runs list in this series.

India had an unassailable 2-1 series lead after winning the first Test in Adelaide by 31 runs and the third Test in Melbourne by 137 runs. Australia had won the second Test in Perth by 146 runs.

Pujara’s knock of 193 came in the last match. Together with Pant’s 159 not out in this match, the batsmen helped India to a grand first innings’ total of 622-7 declared.

Australia were reduced to 236-6 at stumps on day three when bad light had stopped play, and they were bowled out for 300 runs in their first innings on day four, when Kuldeep Yadav (5-99) picked his second five-wicket haul in Test cricket.

Only 25.2 overs were possible on day four as Australia were at 6-0 following on in their second innings when play was called off due to bad light.

The morning began with similar murky clouds as seen throughout Sunday, and right at the supposed start of play at 10 am local time, rain arrived to prevent any possibility of cricket happening at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

The match was called off at 2.30 pm local time, with no possibility of further play.