New Year Eve marks the last day of the year in the Gregorian calendar, December 31, before the New Year. It is a time to celebrate the end of the year gone by and welcome what is in store in the New Year. Many people start thinking about New Year’s resolutions at this time of the year. You may also highlight this New Year’s Eve with a resolution to keep yourself happier. And why not? Every human being longs for happiness.
Different people find happiness in different things. To be happy is not a state when everything is perfect. Life is very uncertain and never stays fixed. You may be happy today but may not be tomorrow. We have to live with this hard reality. Few things that you can pledge to improve your happiness in 2019 are:
- Be an open person: Be approachable and receptive to feedback without being defensive.
- Be honest and truthful: Honesty builds trust between people. Nothing has a more destructive impact than dishonesty and deception. Avoid being pretentious or fake.
- Strive to live a life of integrity – It will make sure that there is no difference between your words and actions.
- Always be respectful and sensitive to others: Do not try to control people with threatening or manipulative behaviour.
- Have a sense of humour: It can be a life saver for someone. The ability to laugh at one’s self and life’s foibles allows a person to maintain a proper perspective while dealing with sensitive issues. You will always feel good to have fun with others.
- Try to recognise and resolve: You can learn a lot from your childhood losses and then you can understand how these events influence your current behaviours.
- Always remain composed, confident and keep smiling.
- Keep an attitude of gratitude: Life is a journey full of ups and downs. Of course, you cannot be happy in all circumstances. Yet be as thankful to God and others as you can. It will improve your window of the world.
- Stay calm: Do not lose your temper in inappropriate situations. Try to stay calm in all situations. If someone provokes you, try not to explode. In such situations just remain in sideliners. Stay away from people who hurt you.
- Be patient: It does not mean you should not keep your mind on the goal. If you want to achieve something, you have to work upon it. Achieving things in life is a difficult task. But keep trying without losing hope.
- Be optimistic: Live with enthusiasm and be positive about the possibilities of future happiness. Work with dedication, faith and hope. You can turn unfavourable conditions around and make your life far better than it is now – you can create a difference by the power of your faith.
- Love yourself but be humble and generous: Do not be selfish. Always keep a feeling of sharing and caring for others. The real charm of life is to live with the goal of helping others. There is no feeling greater than the feeling of making someone smile because of a gesture however big or small that you do. Do not expect anything in return. This is the real happiness that goes a long way.
- Do not give up your values for anyone.
- Always be down to earth. Do not keep an arrogance.
- Do not give up your dreams for small pleasures. Grab good opportunities. They won’t wait for you and may never come back again.
- Admit your mistakes. Be willing to do work on yourself for your betterment.
- Nurture good relationships with family and friends. Do not live in isolation.
- Spare at least half an hour every day to exercise and meditate.
- A good sleep is also important for happiness.
- Make time to do any activity you love to do like playing a sport or painting, cooking or dancing once or twice a week.
Keep in mind, there is no such thing as ideal happiness. Ups and downs are part of life when it comes to human beings. Also priorities change throughout life. So, balance out the idealism with realism. The truth lies in the middle of the two. By espousing above qualities, you can be a happier person.
The desire for happiness is the universal wish of every one!
Wish you all a very happy and prosperous new year!