Headache is violent and gets worse at some point of time. It is the most common medical complaint that can be a sign of stress or can occur due to a medical disorder such as migraine, high blood pressure, anxiety or depression.
A headache can occur in any part of the head. It can radiate across the head from the point of origin. The most common ways of treating headaches are rest and pain relief medications. A number of home treatments can also be followed to ease the pain in head if it does occur.
- Grind the fresh gooseberry fruits into a fine paste and apply on affected parts.
- Grind two to three cloves into a fine paste along with half teaspoon dried ginger and apply on nose, forehead etc.
- Roast some ajwain dry in a pan. Tie it in a muslin bag and sniff frequently.
- Make a paste of two to three powdered cloves and salt. Apply this paste on the forehead.
- A paste made of dry ginger with a little water or milk when applied to the forehead also gives relief.
- A ripe apple, after removing the upper rind and the inner hard portion should be taken with a little salt every morning on an empty stomach. Continue for a week. This yields good results even in case of chronic headaches.
- Mix one teaspoon finely ground cinnamon in one teaspoon water and apply on the forehead. It is very effective in headache due to exposure to cold air.
- Crush an onion and apply the paste on the head.
- Follow the simple Chinese acupressure technique and say goodbye to those nasty headaches. This can be done anywhere and at any time. Place your thumb on the web of skin between the thumb and the index finger of your other palm and apply pressure for about two minutes. Repeat on the other hand. However, this Chinese acupressure massage is not recommended for pregnant women.
- Tulsi tea: Mix eight to ten basil leaves, half inch long ginger piece, seven black pepper corns powdered coarsely with one large cup (200 ml) water. Boil for two minutes. Remove from heat, cover and leave for two to three minutes. Strain, add boiled milk, sugar and drink warm. Lie down covering yourself with a sheet for five to ten minutes. It is very helpful in headaches, cold and indigestion. Drink two to three times a day. For children reduce quantity to half.
Headaches due to exposure to cold air:
- Mix one teaspoon finely ground cinnamon in one teaspoon water and apply on affected parts.
Headache on one side:
- Powder equal quantities of liquorice and cumin. Take one fourth teaspoon every day with one teaspoon honey for a month.
- Mix one teaspoon each of the following powders and store: camphor, nutmeg, cardamom, and cloves. Take two pinches with warm water.
Besides these easy cures, exercising regularly, getting enough rest and regular sleep contributes to overall health and headache reduction. It is important to consult a doctor if you experience sudden and severe headaches more often.