Follow Us:

Two terrorists killed, a civilian dead in Kulgam encounter

A third terrorist surrendered and has been taken to an undisclosed location for further interrogation.

SNS | New Delhi |

Two terrorists were killed and one surrendered in an encounter with security forces in the Chadderbhan area of Kulgam district in South Kashmir on Sunday. Subsequent protests led to the death of a civilian and injuries to 10 others.

Jammu-Kashmir DGP Shesh Paul Vaid said that one of the two terrorists was Shakur Dar, the divisional commander of the LeT. He said that the third terrorist surrendered with arms and ammunition.

DGP Vaid had earlier said that two-three terrorists were trapped by security force personnel comprising men from the J-K police, CRPF and the Indian Army.

Police reportedly said that civilians came out of their houses during the gun battle to disrupt the operation by pelting stones. As civilians clashed with the security forces, one lost his life to a gunshot wound. The civilian has been identified as Yawar Ahmad Dar, 27. He was brought to the hospital but doctors pronounced him dead.

The surrendered terrorist has been taken to an undisclosed location for further interrogation particularly on the plans of terrorists about Amarnath pilgrimage.

A gun fight erupted when the terrorists fired at a road clearing party of security forces in Chadderbhan area of Kulgam district in south Kashmir.

“The security forces were carrying out a highway clearance operation for the forthcoming Amarnath Yatra when they were fired at by the hidden militants,” a police officer said.

The operation is now over.

Two days ago, four terrorists from the Islamic State Jammu-Kashmir (ISJK) were killed in Anantnag’s Srigufwara area in south Kashmir.

Security has been heightened in the state due to the forthcoming Amarnath Yatra, the preparations of which is directly being monitored by Governor NN Vohra.

Ever since the imposition of Governor’s Rule in the state, Vohra has visited various sensitive locations of the yatra route during the past two days. Army chief General Bipan Rawat had on Saturday discussed the security scenario with the Governor.