Follow Us:

Food poisoning claims another life in Kerala

A girl dies in Kasargod after eating Kuzhimanthi. Her death is the second such casualty in five days.

SNS | Thiruvananthapuram |

Another death due to food poisoning has been reported from Kerala on Saturday. Anjushree Parvathi, a 19-year-old girl, who consumed Kuzhimanthi, a spicy dish prepared with rice and meat, died in Kasaragod on Saturday.

This is the second death due to food poisoning reported in the state within the past five days. Earlier on 3 January, Resmi, a 33-year-old nurse, had died after consuming Kuzhimanthi and al-faham in Kottayam. Around 20 people had fallen ill after consuming these dishes from the same restaurant.

The death due to food poisoning has been reported at a time when the Food Safety Department has intensified searches at eateries across the state following complaints of serving stale food.

Anjusree Parvathi’s family at Thalaklayi in Kasaragod had consumed Kuzhimanthi which was delivered online from Al Romanzia Hotel in Kasaragod on 31 December.

Though all the four, who ate the food felt uneasy, the condition of Anjusree deteriorated and she was rushed to a hospital at Kasaragod. Anjushree was shifted to a private hospital in Mangaluru on Friday morning as her health condition worsened. She breathed her last at a hospital in Mangaluru at 5 am on Saturday.

The police have registered a case of unnatural death following the complaint of the relatives of the deceased girl  and took three  persons, including the hotel owner into custody in connection with the death of the girl.