Follow Us:

Fire breaks out at Priya Cinema in Kolkata, no casualty

Four members of Priya Cinema owner Arijit Dutta’s family and a staffer were reportedly trapped on the roof, and were evacuated by fire brigade personnel.

SNS | Kolkata |

A fire broke out at the Priya cinema hall in Deshapriyo Park area in Kolkata during a late night show on Sunday, fire brigade officials said. No casualty was however reported.

The audience were able to make a safe exit after smoke filled the auditorium around 10.15 pm, a little while before the show was to end, they said.

The officials said five fire tenders were pressed into service.

Four members of the cinema hall owner Arijit Dutta’s family and a staffer were reportedly trapped on the roof, and were evacuated by fire brigade personnel.

Fire-fighters gave them oxygen masks as they were been brought down by the stairs, said sources.

Dutta later tweeted to say his family was safe, and thanked the Kolkata Police. He posted: “We all are safe…must thank @KolkataPolice n #kolkata Fire Brigade team for the instant support…Thanku everyone for all ur good wishes n support..Really Touched🙏”

West Bengal Fire Services Minister Sovan Chatterjee and senior fire brigade officials visited the spot at night. He said all those trapped on the roof were evacuated safely.

The cause of the fire is suspected to be a short-circuit.

The minister said all angles, including the possibility of the fire originating from a ground floor restaurant, would be investigated.

Noted actor Dev also visited the spot.