A fire mishap took place on the fifth floor of Bhubaneswar Apollo Hospital on Saturday prompting a power shutdown. As many as 26 patients had to be shifted to other hospitals while other patients on the floor were taken to the ground floor. No one was injured in the fire.

The fire department, police and hospital authorities rushed to the scene as the fire alarm was sounded.

A short-circuit in the battery room of the hospital led to smoke billowing out .  Windowpanes were broken to let the smoke out of the floor.

The fifth floor ICU patients had to be moved to other private hospitals in the city.

Commissioner of Police Satyajit Mohanty said it was a case of smoke more than the spark of fire in the battery room. “There was no casualty or injury to anybody,” he said, adding that a fire audit would be conducted.

Sudhir M Diggikar, Apollo’s regional CEO – Odisha and Chhattisgarh, said the fire alarm was raised as the incident created smoke and the electricity supply with the back-up system was shut down.

Twenty six critical patients were shifted to different private hospitals in the city as a preventive measure, he said.

All other patients who were evacuated to the ground floor have been brought back to their respective wards.