At least five people are dead and at least 40 feared trapped as a 100-year-old four-storey building collapsed in the Dongri area of Maharashtra’s Mumbai on Tuesday.

So far, eight people who are injured, have been rescued from under the debris.

A team of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and fire tenders have rushed to the spot of the incident which was reported at around 11:40 am.

The building going by the name Kesarbai collapsed at Tandel street, in Dongri, with 40-50 people feared trapped in the rubble of the structure, the BMC Disaster Management Cell informed.

Police, civic body staff and the locals are also present at the site.

Search and rescue operations are underway at the collapse site.

Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said that as per the initial information, around 15 families are feared trapped in the collapse. The building is around 100 years old, he said, adding that an investigation will be initiated into the matter.

In videos of the rescue operation, NDRF personnel were seen trying to remove concrete blocks as they probe the openings amid the debris for signs of life.

Earlier this month, twenty-three people lost their lives after a wall collapsed on hutments in Pimpripada area of Malad East in Mumbai due to heavy rainfall.

At least three more people were killed in another wall collapse in Kalyan near Mumbai.

Thirteen Army personnel and a civilian were killed after a three-storey building collapsed in the Kumarhatti area of Solan district of Himachal Pradesh, around 80 km from on Sunday following heavy showers.