In an untoward incident in Dibrugarh district of upper Assam, five members of a family including two children were charred to death when a cooking gas cylinder burst trigerring fire at their house, police said on Saturday.

The District Additional Superintendent of Police, Dhruba Bora said that the incident occured at Niz kodomoni near Thermal Colony in Dibrugarh town.

“The cooking gas cylinder in their hut near the railway tracks burst around 1:30 am on Saturday when they were sleeping. They were burnt to death on the spot after te fire engulfed their house,” Bora said.

He further added that the fire damaged the hut and their belongings completely. The bodies have been sent for post mortem examination.

The deceased were identified as Maya Sonar (50), Bishal Sonar (19), Shib Sonar (5), Shankar Sonar (3) and Nunu (50).

ASP ruled out the scope of any sabotage leading to fire and said that the officials reached the spot and initiated a preliminary investigation.

Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal expressed condolence to the relatives of the deceased and directed the district Deputy Commissioner of police to conduct an enquiry into the incident.

The state government announced an ex-gratia of Rs 4 lakh each to the next of kin of the deceased.