A local court in Srinagar on Saturday directed further investigations in the case involving Army Major Leetul Gogoi over a row involving a Kashmiri woman and asked the police to submit a report by September 18.

The court of Chief Judicial Magistrate (CJM) Srinagar also observed that investigations into the case had been conducted in a very casual manner without detailing the facts.

“Keeping in view the contents of the application and report submitted by the concerned police station, I am of the considered view that the matter needs further investigation, in light of the observations mentioned herein above,” the court said in the order.

Hearing a petition filed by chairman, International Forum for Justice and Human Rights (IFJHR), Muhammad Ahsan Untoo, the CJM directed station house officer (SHO), police station Khanyar in Srinagar, to submit a detailed report by September 18.

Also Read | Army finds Major Leetul Gogoi guilty, orders disciplinary action

“SHO police station concerned shall submit a detailed report by or before next date of hearing on September 18,” the order said.

The court said it appeared the “investigation in the matter has been conducted in a very casual manner without ascertaining the real facts”.

As per the statement recorded before the executive magistrate during inquiry, Major Gogoi has uploaded his name as Ubaid Armaani, thereby creating a fake Facebook account, which also needed thorough investigation under the IT Act, the order said.

A Court of Inquiry constituted by the Indian Army had found Major Leetul Gogoi guilty of violating Army rules and conduct, and ordered initiation of disciplinary action last week.

The Court of Inquiry has held him guilty for fraternising with a local in spite of clear instructions to the contrary and for being away from the place of duty while in an operational area.

On 4 August, the Colonel conducting the Court of Inquiry had reportedly found Major Gogoi guilty of violating the Army’s rule against developing a relationship with a local woman in a conflict zone and breaching the standard operating procedure of staying away from the place of duty.

The findings of the Colonel were placed before the top brass of the Srinagar-based XV corps for approval.

Major Gogoi, an officer of the 53 Rashtriya Rifles, was on 23 May detained by the Jammu and Kashmir Police following a scuffle at a hotel in Srinagar where he was found with an 18-year-old local woman.

A brawl between Major Gogoi and the staff broke out after the hotel management didn’t allow him to book a room with the local girl. The girl, too, was detained by the police.

The Army had taken cognisance of the matter and order the inquiry.

(With agency inputs)