Three Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) personnel and an ONGC officer were killed in a massive fire that broke out in a storm water drainage network at the ONGC’s oil and gas processing plant in Uran in Maharashtra’s Navi Mumbai on Tuesday, severely hitting supplies of both PNG and CNG in the city.

The Mahanagar Gas Ltd, which supplies domestic, industrial and vehicular gas, said that gas supply to its City Gate Station, Wadala has been badly affected.

The officials are trying to ensure that supply to domestic Piped Natural Gas (PNG) consumers would be maintained on priority without interruption.

However, many Compressed Natural Gas stations in Mumbai may not operate due to low pressure in the pipeline.

Accordingly, the MGL has advised industrial and commercial customers to switch over to alternate fuel till the gas supplies across MGL’s network is restored by Oil and Natural Gas Corporation.

The MGL network is spread across entire Mumbai, parts of Thane, Palghar and Raigad, serving lakhs of domestic, industrial and other consumers.

Meanwhile, the three injured are out of danger and are receiving treatment in a nearby hospital.

The CISF jawans of the Fire Wing (ONGC Unit), who were killed in the line of duty, are E Nayaka, MK Paswan and SP Kushwaha.

“The CISF salutes the supreme sacrifice of CISF Fire Wing bravehearts who sacrificed their lives in the line of duty during the fire-fighting operations at ONGC Uran, Navi Mumbai,” the CISF said in a tribute.

It added that the CISF will be forever indebted for their bravery and commitment.

Nearly 22 fire brigade tenders including ONGC fire services and crisis management team were immediately pressed into action to contain the fire. Firefighters from Uran, JNPT, Navi Mumbai and surroundings also rushed to battle the blaze.

The ONGC said there was no impact on oil processing and that the gas was diverted to its Hazira plant in Surat district of Gujarat.

Clouds of dark smoke were seen billowing out of the conflagration on the ONGC premises where the fire erupted around 7 am.

The blaze was brought under control after nearly three hours and cooling operations are underway at the site.