Follow Us:

JNU protest: Photojournalist assaulted by Delhi Police, camera confiscated

SNS Web | New Delhi |

Amidst unruly scenes during Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) students’ protest in Delhi, a video of a Hindustan Times photojournalist being assaulted by women police personnel has surfaced.

As per media reports, photojournalist Anushree Fadnavis was on duty when she was roughed-up by the police. Her camera was also confiscated by the police.

The video of the assault was uploaded by HT photo editor Ajay Agarwal on Twitter.

 In an another case, a journalist had alleged that she was “groped” by an Inspector of the Delhi Police and asked to vacate the place.

The woman journalist had alleged that a man in uniform “groped” her and asked her to vacate the place. She has lodged a complaint with the police.

The Delhi Police took to Twitter to address the complaint and said that the vigilance branch will make an inquiry into the complaint.

On Friday, large number of JNU students and teachers were stopped from marching to the Parliament Complex over various demands, including academic freedom, with police resorting to lathi-charge and use of water cannons.

The “Padyatra”, which started at the varsity’s campus, was organised by the Jawaharlal Nehru University Students’ Union (JNUSU) and the Jawaharlal Nehru University Teachers’ Association (JNUTA).

The protesting students claimed that the attack by the police was “unprovoked”.

“At the INA bus stop, we were stopped. They (the police) used water cannon on us. They lathi-charged us. We were detained and taken to the Defence Colony police station,” JNUSU, joint secretary, Shubhanshu Singh had said.
“The attack by the police was unprovoked,” he added.

The associations are demanding academic freedom, accessible and equitable education among others.

The teachers’ body had requested other associations to join the protest march.

Their other demands include withdrawal of the executive council decision to constitute a committee to take action against teachers and the immediate withdrawal of notifications replacing chairpersons who were opposed to implementing compulsory attendance.

The JNUTA had earlier launched a three-day ‘Satyagraha’ inside the campus to raise these demands.

(With agency inputs)