The Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) has recognised six central universities to manage yoga department in order to encourage students to perform it.
The ministry had already appointed a committee, under the chairpersonship of Prof. HR Nagendra, Chancellor, Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana, Bengaluru (S-VYASA) for making several recommendations on Yoga Education in Universities.
The universities that are offering the courses are:
- Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University, Uttarakhand
- Visva Bharti Shantiniketan, West Bengal
- Central University of Rajasthan
- Central University of Kerala
- Indira Gandhi National Tribal University, Madhya Pradesh
- Manipur University
“The UGC has already approved the starting the yoga department in these central universities,” the HRD minister, Satya Pal Singh said
These are the various courses offered:
- Bachelors of Science (Yoga): 3 – 6 years
- Post Graduate Diploma in Yoga: 1 – 2 years
- Post Graduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy: 1 – 2 years
- Masters of Science (Yoga): 2 – 4 years