Kolkata Police today submitted chargesheet against Raghib Parvez, the main accused in the Jaguar hit-and-run case in which two Bangladeshi nationals were crushed to death. Police filed the chargesheet within 33 days. In the 200 page chargesheet, Raghib, who was behind the wheels when the fatal accident took place, has been charged with culpable homicide not amounting to murder.

Apart from him, his brother Arsalan Parvez and uncle Md. Hamza have also been charged by the police. While Arsalan is in police custody, the two other accused are out on bail. Raghib has been charged under IPC Sections 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), 308 (attempt to commit culpable homicide), 427 (mischief causing damage to the amount of fifty rupees) and 279 (rash driving or riding on a public way); Section 3 of PDPP (Prevention of Damage to Public Property) Act and Sections 119 and 177 under the Motor Vehicles Act.

These charges carry the maximum punishment of life imprisonment. While Arsalan has been charged under IPC section 201 (causing disappearance of evidence of offence or giving false information to screen offender), his uncle Md. Hamza has been charged under IPC sections 201 and 212 (harbouring offender). In a case that saw a startling twist, the police arrested Raghib Parvez, the elder brother of Arsalan Parvez for driving a Jaguar that killed two Bangladeshi nationals and left one critically injured on 16 August.

Initially, police had arrested Arsalan for the offence but later investigations revealed that he was not driving the Jaguar on the night of the accident as the police did not find any injury marks on Arsalan’s face which would have been there if his face had been hit by the car’s airbag that inflated at the time of the accident. Police also found out that the phone number with which the car was registered belonged to Arsalan’s elder brother Raghib, who went missing immediately after the accident.

The CCTV footage scanned by the sleuths also showed that Raghib was driving the luxury car. It was learnt during the probe that Raghib had escaped to Dubai with the help of his uncle Md. Hamza. Later, Raghib was pressurised to return to the city and was arrested from Beniapukur along with his uncle on 21 August. He had reportedly admitted himself into a private nursing home after returning from Dubai. Police said that he had confessed to his crime. The Arsalan brothers are sons of a famous citybased restaurant-chain owner.