Over 100 students hospitalised after food poisoning

GDP

Over a hundred students of a private University in the periphery of Shimla were taken ill after suspected food poisoning.

The students of Jaypee University of Information and Technology, Waknaghat in Solan district, about 25 kms from Shimla, two hours after dinner on Thursday at around 11:00 p.m. started complaining of nausea and vomiting.

A student requesting anonymity said, “Initially at around 11:00 p.m. after dinner at the hostel mess, a few students including him, complained of vomiting and they were treated at the University dispensary. However, by 2:00 a.m. when the numbers swelled over 100 the dispensary unable to handle the crisis, rushed the students to neighbouring hospitals at Kandaghat and Shimla.”

“Four buses of the University shifted the students to the hospital in Shimla.” disclosed another student.

The students had consumed dinner prepared by the hostel mess that consisted of channa dal, pav-bhajji, fried rice and Gulab Jamun (sweet dessert), he added.

The students shifted to Shimla were admitted to Indira Gandhi Medical College (IGMC) and hospital and were provided treatment for suspected food poisoning.

IGMC, Senior Medical Superintendent Ramesh Chand said, “Around 60 students were brought to the hospital emergency department for treatment after they were taken ill at around 3:00 a.m.

They complained of restlessness, abdominal pain and vomiting. By morning, while few recovered after sometime, however 47 students including 14 girls were admitted to the hospital.

Currently under observation the students are stable and will be discharged by the evening.”

The samples of the students have been taken and will be tested by the Microbiology department for analysis to ascertain the cause of the illness and the report will be available by Monday, he added.

Meanwhile, the Jaypee University, Vice Chancellor Prof Vinod Kumar despite repeated attempts was not available for comments.

Related Articles