US and Chinese trade officials held “constructive phone conversations” as the world’s top two economies seek to resolve their trade war, over a week after they declared a truce, according to White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow on Tuesday.
US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin spoke with Chinese Vice Premier Liu He and Minister Zhong Shan on Tuesday in a further effort to resolve outstanding trade disputes between the countries, US officials said in a statement.
The talks “went constructively” but it was “too soon for details”, White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow told AFP.
In an interview with the Fox Business Network, Kudlow also described the discussions as “preliminary” and said “meetings will “probably” be arranged”, but she did not give more details.
“Trump has agreed to hold off on imposing new tariffs and will allow certain US products to be sold to Chinese telecom giant Huawei”, she added.
In a brief statement, the Chinese commerce ministry said, “The two sides exchanged opinions on implementing the consensus reached between the two countries’ heads of state in Osaka.”
US President Donald Trump and Chinese leader Xi Jinping agreed to revive negotiations when they met on the sidelines of the G20 summit in Japan on June 29.
Trump also said, “I would refrain from imposing tariffs on more Chinese products. I had previously threatened to put punitive duties on an additional $300 billion in Chinese exports, after meeting with Xi in Osaka at G20.
The ceasefire comes as the US presidential campaign has started ahead of the November 2020 election.