Logo

Logo

Du Plessis signals T20I retirement post 2020 World T20

South Africa skipper Faf du Plessis on Friday signalled the 2020 ICC World T20 in Australia as his possible swansong from T20 internationals.

Du Plessis signals T20I retirement post 2020 World T20

South African batsman Faf du Plessis. (Photo: AFP)

South Africa skipper Faf du Plessis on Friday signalled the 2020 ICC World T20 in Australia as his possible swansong from T20 Internationals.

“The T20 World Cup is in Australia and that’s not too far away, so hopefully we’ll be back for that and that will probably be my last international tour I would think,” du Plessis was quoted as saying by Cricket Australia.

du Plessis felt that the overdose of domestic T20 leagues have made it difficult to pit the best national teams in series other than the World T20, which he felt must be looked at by the International Cricket Council (ICC).

Advertisement

“And I can see the same with other teams — it’s almost never their strongest teams, and fans come to watch the best players play. That’s where I see the game moving forward, but the T20 World Cup in 2020 is something I’m really looking forward to — that will probably be the last tournament for me,” he said.

After wrapping up their ODI fixtures with a 2-1 verdict in favour of the tourists, du Plessis’ side will face the Aussies in a one-off T20I on the Gold Coast on Saturday.

Advertisement