Love traditional sweets? This Holi try healthy recipes of Gujiya and Kesari Malai Peda shared by none other than celebrity chef Sanjeev Kapoor.
How to make Gujiya
For the filling
Khoya/mawa 500 gms
Sugarfree natura diet sugar 6 tablespoons
Desiccated coconut 3¼ tsps
Cashewnuts (blanched and chopped) 15 nos
Almonds (blanched and chopped) 15 nos
Raisins 20 nos
Green cardamom or nutmeg powder ½ tsp
For the outer covering
Refined flour (maida) 4 cups
Salt ½ tsp
Ghee 5 tbsps + to deep fry
1. Mash khoya and roast it in a deep pan on medium heat till pink. Take off the heat and let it cool.
2. Add all the other filling ingredients to the khoya and keep aside.
3. To prepare the covering, sieve flour and salt and rub in five tablespoons of ghee. Add enough water and knead into a firm dough. Cover it with a moist cloth and keep aside for fifteen minutes.
4. Divide the dough into small balls and roll each ball into a small puri of four inches diameter.
5. Spread a puri on a greased gujiya mould and fill a tablespoon of the filling mixture on one side.
6. Moisten the edges of the puri and fold one side of the mould over the other. Press the edges and remove the excess dough and reuse.
7. Prepare all the gujiyas and spread on a damp cloth.
8. Heat sufficient ghee in a deep pan and deep-fry the gujiyas, in batches on medium heat, till golden brown.
9. Drain onto an absorbent paper. Cool and store in an air tight container.
Kesari Malai Peda
4 cups milk
A few strands of saffron
A pinch of citric acid
2 teaspoons cornflour, dissolved in 2 tablespoons of milk
¼ teaspoon green cardamom powder
10 teaspoons Sugar Free Natura Diet Sugar
8 almonds, chopped
1. Bring milk to a boil in a deep pan and simmer till it reduces to half its original quantity. Add saffron and mix well.
2. Mix citric acid in two teaspoons of water and add to the thickened milk.
3. Add dissolved cornflour and stir continuously till the mixture thickens.
4. Add green cardamom powder and mix well.
5. Take pan off the heat and stir in Sugar Free Natura Diet Sugar and set aside to cool.
6. Divide the mixture into eight equal portions and shape them into round pedas.
7. Sprinkle almonds over the pedas and serve.