New Year’s Eve, without a doubt, is one of the biggest parties of the year, and no party is complete without a scrumptious meal. This New Year’s Eve saw India celebrating by ordering in vociferously and biryani turned out to be its most favourite dish. More than 20,000 biryanis were delivered to Foodpanda customers across India on December 31, 2018, while over 300 were delivered in the last 30 minutes leading to 2019. Other popular food items on New Year’s Eve were Black Forest chocolate cake, chicken rolls, burgers, and fried rice.
Some highlights on food ordering trends on the platform across India in 2018 are:
- India loves to order biryani, burgers, shakes, and ice creams
- Favourite breakfast – Idli and Dosa
- Favourite lunch food item – Biryani, Shakes, and Ice-cream
- Most ordered evening snacks – Momos, Pasta, Shakes, and Ice-cream
- Favourite food for dinner – Chicken Biryani
- Go-to food item for late night cravings – Chicken Biryani, Rolls, and Shakes
- Indians from these cities order out the most – Delhi NCR, Bangalore, Hyderabad, and Mumbai
- Chicken Biryani emerged as the most ordered food item in Hyderabad
- Delhiites are crazy about Tikkas and Butter Chicken, however, an emerging new trend observed in Delhi NCR was orders of Hakka Noodles with Chicken Tikka
- Mumbaikars are big on Milkshakes and Burgers
- Sugar-free juices and Salads are getting more and more popular among Bangaloreans
- Metros of tomorrow drool over Thaalis and Sweets the most
- Vizag, Jaipur, and Bhubaneswar lead the race of the cities that order out the most
- Masala Dosa and Chicken Biryani emerged as the most ordered food in Vizag
- Jaipur loves to eat Sweets and vegetarian Thaalis
- Customers in Bhubaneswar love to relish Rasgulla after their meal
- Varied cuisines and food items dominated the food ordering pattern giving an interesting sneak peek into the wide food palate across our country
- Dishes such as Chole Bhature, Rolls, and Chicken Tikka were the comfort foods of the northern region whereas Biryanis, Burgers, and Salads were big hits in southern India
- The western parts craved for food items such as Shakes, Ice-cream, Paav Bhaaji; and the eastern cities were binging on Chicken Biryani, Rasgulla, and Ice-cream
Foodpanda also observed that India loves to order the most between 8 and 9 pm; dinner time is India’s favourite to order out.
Over the year, December 11 emerged as a milestone day in food delivery history. A delivery partner named Chandrashekhar from Hyderabad completed 38 orders in one day!