When the season changes, we all cough. We rarely pay too much attention to a cough and it usually goes away after a few days. Winter is here so we all think it must be a cold, right? Wrong, it could be an allergy.
If you have been coping with a constant cough, you may be very exhausted and frustrated. There is not a clear definition of a constant cough. It interferes with your daily routine and keeps you from getting a proper night’s rest.
Your cough may be dry or you may cough up phlegm. Causes can range from those that are serious to those that are mostly a nuisance. It may also be due to a combination of reasons. Some of the common causes of cough are:
Viral infections: Infections like common cold and influenza are a common cause of a non-stop cough.
Postnasal drip: It is due to inflammation of the nasal passage. This cough is often productive of clear to whitish phlegm and accompanied by throat cleaning.
Allergies: Environmental allergies and food allergies may cause a constant cough.
Acid reflux: Acid reflux can lead to constant coughing due to the back up of acid from the stomach.
Exposure to irritants: Exposure to smoke, cooking fumes, dust and toxic chemicals can cause someone to cough repeatedly.
If you think you are coughing due to any of the above reasons – avoid using antibiotics. From ancient times our grandmothers have treated us with their home remedies. Whenever we suffered from cough they would run to the kitchen and get a concoction for it instantly. These natural form of therapy heals us gently without any side effects.
- Crush three peppercorns with a pinch of cumin seeds and a pinch of salt. Just keep the mixture in mouth and gulp with a cup of warm water. Repeat morning-evening.
- Mix a pinch of turmeric with a hot cup of milk and drink it before going to bed.
- Chew six to seven basil leaves thrice a day.
- Mix a pinch of turmeric powder in a teaspoon of honey. Take it thrice a day.
- Mix equal amounts of black pepper powder and powdered desi mishri well. Pour in enough pure ghee so that the mixture can be bound in small round balls. Eat one ball four times a day.
- Mix equal amount of honey and ginger juice. Take a spoon four times a day.
- You can mix one teaspoon of pepper power with four teaspoon of jiggery. Make small balls. Have one tablet thrice or four times a day.
For dry cough:
- Mix eight tablespoons of coconut milk with one tablespoon of poppy seeds and one tablespoon of honey. Take before going to bed.
- Have a glass of warm water with juice of one lemon and one teaspoon of honey every morning.
Cough with phlegm:
- Mix equal amounts of onion juice and honey. Have one teaspoon four times a day.
- Chew a clove with a pinch of salt thrice a day.
In today’s modern world, we seem to have forgotten or overlooked these natural and safe ways of treating cough. We keep running to doctors and swallowing antibiotics which often leads to many side effects. Start with one remedy and follow it for a few days and if it suits you, continue till the problem disappears completely.
If your constant cough lasts for more than two weeks, it is important to see for doctor even if you think there is an obvious reason for it.