Mostly, people with diabetes check their glucose 4-6 times a day. Some with type 2, exercise for hours or put themselves on very strict diet. Is this all necessary? Take charge of your health every day to live well with diabetes.
No doubt, having diabetes means one has an increased risk of developing long-term complications but that does not mean they will definitely face complications. Many of them can live for decades without suffering any health effects. There are several safe ways to care for your condition at home:
• Take advice from your doctor as to when you should check your blood sugar- before meals, after meals, after exercise, at bed time or when you are feeling uncomfortable. Ask him what you need to do when your levels are too high or too low.
• Pick your spot for testing. Maintain record of your readings. See trends to trace any problems. It will also help your doctor to treat you well.
• Keep a track of your weight. If you are overweight you should, lose 10-15 pounds to slash your blood sugar. Check with your doctor and a diabetes nutritionist before starting a weight loss plan. You can achieve your target with a better diet and exercise routine.
• Sleep well to improve your sugar level. It’s not just about the amount of sleep you get- the quality makes a difference when it comes to improving blood sugar.
• Get regular exercise. Breathing exercises are also very crucial to be incorporated in your fitness regimen. Practise relaxation techniques.
• Stop drinking alcohol.
• Quit smoking.
• Say no to caffeine.
• Be vigilant before you try a supplement.
• Some might be helpful but others can be harmful.
• Your choice of food matters, especially the carbohydrates. You need to take care of the number of calories you intake. The per-day intake should be between 1500-1800 calories. Include at least three vegetables and two fruits each day. Dry fruits seem to be unhealthy for diabetics because of the fructose in them. It can spike your sugar level. Eat fresh fruits instead. Eat whole grains as an alternative of refine grains. Vegetables such as broccoli, beans, spinach, peas and leafy greens should be incorporated in daily diet. Pulses should also be a part of your everyday meals. Mono saturated fats are good for your health. Eat small frequent meals. Consuming soaked almonds every morning can keep your diabetes in check.
• Try some herbal kitchen ingredients that are good to control diabetes. Drink cinnamon with warm water on an empty stomach every day to help increase metabolism. Include drum sticks in your daily diet to increase satiety. Drink 3-4 cups of green tea daily. The polyphenols in green tea help in controlling blood sugar levels. Soak a tea spoonful of fenugreek seeds in a glass of water overnight. Strain and drink in morning. Drink tomato juice adding little salt and black pepper powder on an empty stomach every day to control diabetes.
Worrying about our health can be a never ending source of stress. Stress is bad for not only happiness but diabetes also. It is safe for diabetic people to live a more relaxed life. Follow these easy tips and live happily.