TN Human Rights Commission calls for report on death of football player Priya

TN Human Rights Commission calls for report on death of football player Priya

Photo: SNS

The State Human Rights Commission, Tamil Nadu, has called for a report from the Secretary to Government, Health and Family Welfare Department, Secretariat, Chennai over the death of a 17 year old football player Priya.

The Commission has sought the report due to the alleged negligence of doctors and questioned the condition of hospitals in the state.

The notice came in the wake of the death of a 17-year-old football player, Priya R, in a government hospital in Tamil Nadu. The kin of the deceased alleged negligence of the doctors as the cause of her death.


The Commission sought the report and set a six weeks timeline for the submission.

“Call for a report from the secretary to the government, health and family welfare department within six weeks….. Now, therefore, take notice that the matter will be listed for further consideration before this commission after six weeks. Before that you are required to submit the report by post without fail,” read the notice by the commission.

The commission also noted that in case of any default, the human rights body would “proceed to take such action as it deems fit and proper”.

The Chennai-based teenage football player had undergone knee surgery (right leg) at Government Peripheral Hospital, Periyar Nagar. Following the complications that set in, she was moved to Rajiv Gandhi Government hospital, Chennai, on November 8.

Footballer Priya later died due to liver, heart and kidney complications.

The Tamil Nadu Police charged the staff of Periyar Nagar Government Peripheral Hospital in Chennai with medical negligence in connection with the death of Priya, on the basis of a report filed by the Director of Medical Education.

The police in a statement said that they have altered the section to 304 A (death due to medical negligence) of the Indian Penal Code.

The death of the teenager, a first-year BSc Physical Education student at Queen Mary’s College in Chennai, after she underwent a surgery for ligament tear, has triggered public outrage, forcing the state government to order a probe into the incident.

Meanwhile, the two doctors accused in the botched surgery, have moved the Madras High Court for anticipatory bail.

Priya was hospitalised at the Periyar Nagar Government Peripheral Hospital on November 7 where she underwent a surgery. Due to complications post-procedure, her right leg was amputated at the Rajiv Gandhi Government Hospital (RGGH).

Her health condition deteriorated while she was undergoing treatment at RGGH and died Tuesday due to multiple organ failure.

Tamil Nadu Minister for Health and Family Welfare Ma Subramanian informed the media that they have suspended two doctors who provided treatment to Priya at the Periyar Nagar hospital and further, they will be initiating legal proceedings against them. He also asked the BJP not to politicise the death of the girl.

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M K Stalin visited the residence of the footballer, and handed over compensation of Rs 10 lakh to the bereaved family, a job order for Priya’s brother, and also an order to allocate a house for her family.